Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)'s Reviews > Hocus Pocus Hotel

Hocus Pocus Hotel by Michael Dahl

Aug 08, 12

Read from May 20 to 21, 2012

Charlie Hitchcock is a total geek, with a photographic memory. Tyler Yu, the school bully, is saving up to buy a motorcycle working in his parents' hotel (called the Abracadabra). But Mr. Madagascar, one of the tenants, has gone missing without paying his rent. He is a retired magician and most of the hotel guests are former performers of some sort or another. With the help of a very curious Charlie, the elevator operator Mr. Brack and the uncovering of some illusions that are too 'magical' to possibly be actual magic, can the boys find the missing magician in time to get the rent before Tyler's parents notice? This was a fun book for me, as someone who never really read mysteries as a kid - it's something that I've gotten into a lot more now that I'm an adult. But I loved the illustrations and Tyler's inept bullying, that isn't quite mean-spirited enough to be taken seriously. Mr. Brack was alternately creepy and a wise old man who is still sharper than a tack. The story was fun, even if the mirror set-ups do make it a little over complex to try any of the tricks at home. The ending was cute and I look forward to future books in the series, just to see what places Charlie and Tyler go next. Although, as an older reader I like a little bit more of an intricate plot to my stories nowadays.Overall I'd recommend this mostly for elementary and middle school aged readers and their teachers.

VERDICT: 3/5 Stars

*I received an Advanced Reading E-book Copy from the publisher, via NetGalley. No money or favors were exchanged for this review. This book was published August 1st, 2012.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hocus Pocus Hotel.