Tessa's Reviews > Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Jul 10, 14

bookshelves: favorites, stole-my-heart, printz-award, favorites-read-in-2012, audiobooks, favorites-read-in-2014
Read from August 15 to 17, 2012

Even after all this time, even though I knew what happened, this book still brought me to tears.

First time I read the paperback version, but now I'm going to review the audiobook. What the paperback version has better described are Kent's charts (Vera's dad). they are far more funnier when you see them on paper :) .

About the audiobook version: I like the fact that they used different voices for each character, even the Pagoda had a specific voice, not sure if it was made by the same speaker who did Charlie or Kent. I loved it either way! :)

The story: it's original, it's sad, it's funny, it's entertaining and it's educational. Yup, it teaches you something besides the vocab words. Still can't get Parsimonious out of my head XD.

I loved Vera and her Dad, I loved the Pagoda (weird, right?) and let's face it, I even loved Charlie. Despite all his flaws, he started life with such a disadvantage it was hard to judge him for taking the wrong path. Yet, I'm upset because he didn't even try to live better. I mean, yeah, he did have some few attempts, but I still think he gave up too easily. So afraid to mess up that he preferred to not even try to do good. That's not right, you should never loose hope. And this book shows you very well that loosing hope means losing yourself. From the beginning we all know where Charlie ended up.... 6 feet under :( .

Now, about Vera: she was very likable (in the second read), I was a little annoyed of her when I first read the book, but after you see all the shit she's been through, you kinda end up admiring the fact that she's not worse off. She's literally the victim of this book because, unlike Charlie, she did nothing wrong. All she ever wanted was to stay out of the radar. She's a smart shy person and I feel I have a lot in common with her, that's probably another reason why I liked this book so much. I don't think I ever was as smart as Vera was when I was 17, but I grew up in different circumstances and since life was not so hard on me I took my time to get to her maturity XD. But now, I get her, I really do. Because nothing is worse than being bullied, especially when you did nothing wrong besides attacking the notice of the wrong person. So yeah, a million hugs for Vera. :)

Kent - he's the cool dad, he really is. He's also had a shit life, but decided to give it all for Vera. And he tried, and tried and tried, but he never felt he was good enough. I loved that fact that his daughter loved him enough the tell him that he was, he is good enough. Just by looking at Vera you can see what a great father he is. And no, he's not without faults, but really, who is? He also reminded me of my own father. Isn't that weird? Thank God my mom was not a stripper and didn't left me or else I could have seriously suspected the author of stealing my life story from some blog I probably wrote years ago. No, not the case XD.

The Pagoda - funny, educational, witty and oh, such an inspiring character for this story where you can't really understand when truth ends and dementia begins XD.

What's left to say... this book made me cry buckets, it also made me laugh out lout quite a few times. I think it's the sort of book everyone should read at least once in their life time :) .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Ignore Vera Dietz.

08/16 page 100
07/08 marked as: currently-reading
07/10 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tessa Re-reading this and loving it! :)