Ella's Reviews > White Noise

U 50x66
May 30, 2012

liked it
Read from May 30 to July 08, 2012

Sorry Dan! I tried, but I just didn't like it. I get the whole satire of American culture, but I didn't find it funny or interesting. It went on and on and on. Like seriously, you don't have to tell me every other page what the radio or TV was saying. I got that whole "noise of consumerism" idea the first time you did it!

I also thought that Jack's fear of death was really annoying, perhaps because I can't relate. He would say pretentiously intellectual and dumb things like, "I looked at Babette. Her inclined posture struck me as having an angle that reverberated through the ages, every molecule present in the indefinite white wash of time and space. The clock showed odd numbers. Who will die first?" (To be clear, that is not a direct quote. That is how the entire book sounded to me.)

Maybe I've just gotta try it again someday. I read some fancy shmancy book reviews of it to try and understand what I'm not getting about this book. Maybe I would've liked it better in class. I didn't like "Catch-22" until we discussed in class, so perhaps I'm simply not smart enough to see the appeal by myself. Ah well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Noise.