Ruth Hill's Reviews > Skewered Halo

Skewered Halo by Brenda Youngerman

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: mystery
Read from May 30 to June 01, 2012

What a book! When I began reading this book, I knew very little about it except that the author was generally a good author. I figured it would be an acceptable, normal, contemporary book. Little did I know that it would be a book that would so capture my attention that I laid other books aside so I could finish it. Deadlines were not important--I had to finish this book!

I am one who loves mysteries, and this one can certainly be put in that category. But it went beyond that. It was a thriller with a twist and turn at every angle. About the time I thought I knew what was happening, the author would throw another turn into the plot, and I was mesmerized an often horrified. I remember thinking about halfway through that I had to know the ending, and I also knew I probably wouldn't like the ending. And I was right.

When I say I didn't like the ending, I don't mean it wasn't well-written or anything like that. This book is one of the most realistic books I have had the privilege to read. Realism is something that authors don't always write about because everyone expects a happy ending. I am one who craves an ending that matches the book and story. And Brenda Youngerman certainly delivers.

This book has a couple sex scenes, and it has some profanity, but I will not fault it for either. Neither was prolific nor spoiled the book for me. I have never read a psychotic thriller, and although some details were in the book concerning certain instances, I felt that the descriptions within the book were appropriate to the style and genre of the book. My heart still goes out to Diane. I can't imagine having to go through the tragedies she endured.

This book is not for the faint of heart, but I think anyone who starts the book will find that it is almost impossible to put it down!

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are 100 percent mine, and I was not financially compensated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skewered Halo.