Jessica Gaskin's Reviews > The Twitter Diaries: 2 Cities, 1 Friendship, 140 Characters

The Twitter Diaries by Georgie Thompson

May 30, 12

Read in May, 2012

Ok, so I probably could have guessed that this wouldn't be a masterpiece. However, I was mildly intrigued by the thought of a book entirely in 'Tweets'. I figured this could allow the author to be very clever with the structure and in doing so lead to a very original style of story-telling. Unfortunately this opportunity was missed. The 'Tweets' are not genuine 'Tweets', they are actually direct messages (ie instead of public messages in the style of mini-blogs - which could provide the opportunity for a whole story whereby the reader is unaware of how much of what they are reading is a character's desired public persona and how much is real thoughts - these 'Tweets' are merely messages from one person to another. It is like a dialogue between two people, albeit at a distance and restricted to 140 characters at a time (as they mention far too often for it to appear natural!). The plot is hugely predictable and cheesey, although not without redeeming factors. The characters are at least easy to relate to and there is some good humour in the book. I just feel somewhat disappointed at finding standard chic lit when I was hoping for something a bit different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twitter Diaries.