Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > The Language Of The Night: Essays On Fantasy And Science Fiction

The Language Of The Night by Ursula K. Le Guin

Jul 24, 2015

bookshelves: essays
Read from June 03 to July 02, 2015

I marked this book to read a few years ago without making note of where I'd read about it or who recommended it to me, but I remember enjoying LeGuin's novels very much so I had clearly thought it would be interesting to read these essays by her.

This book was published in 1979, and contains essays written as articles for magazines, introductions to works by her and by other authors, and speeches given. Because of these different genre, there is a fair amount of repetition, though as none of it is word-for-word and as all of it is excellent, I found it no hardship. It was also intriguing to take myself back into the mindset of the 1970s. Forty years on much has changed in the world of science fiction and fantasy so this is largely a historical view. However, her references to other great, early sci-fi writers was a good reminder to me to check out the classics that I haven't already read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language Of The Night.

06/03/2015 marked as: read