Carol's Reviews > The Cost of Hope: A Memoir

The Cost of Hope by Amanda   Bennett

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: 2012, first-reads, memoirs-bio
Read from June 04 to 07, 2012

The Cost of Hope by Amanda Bennett is definitely a love story. Amanda raises the question of whether or not it is worth it to pay so much to keep her husband alive after his deadly diagnosis. On page five, Amanda Bennett says that his medical bills totaled $618,616 from the day that his disease appeared to the day that he passed away, December 8, 2007. She was very fortunate to have most of that covered by insurance. She goes ahead and gives her answer to whether it was worth it for amount of time that he lived after the discovery of his kidney cancer. Of course, it was worth it. The hope of more time together with family and friends was well worth it. And that is what this book shows.

Amanda Bennett and Terence Bryan Foley met in Peking (before it became Beijing) in 1983. I enjoyed her description of Beijing in 1983, I had been there in 1992 and a lot had changed in just nine years. The couple seemed to be total opposites. Their backgrounds, families and ideas were so different. It is amazing that with all the friction between the two that they were able to stay together. Their frequent quarrels during their courtship and marriage worked out to be just another way of their loving each other.

Her husband was very unusual, he knew Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, and some other language, he dresses carefully, wore a bow tie, saved everything, played many musical instruments, flew a planes, learned so quickly. Reading about him, I am positive that he was incredibly intelligent and also very infuriating at the same time. He could invent himself in order to get a job or to impress a date. If this book had not been written many people would not have known this man at all.

This book went incredibly fast for me. The subject of her husband was so fascinating that I could not stop reading. Just like all cancers are not alike, not all kidney cancer develops the same way. I don’t think you will be able to lay this book down.

I recommend to everyone who is interested in love or medicine.

I received this book as a win from GoodReads and that in no way influenced my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cost of Hope.

06/06/2012 page 8