Kathleen's Reviews > Ill Wind

Ill Wind by Rachel Caine

Sep 26, 08

Read in September, 2008

Took me a little while to really get into it (partly because the story was in first person, but the narrator wasn't telling things she knew--comes off as a bit "coy" on the part of the author, in my opinion), but I liked the story and the way it was resolved. The "romance" verged on explicitness in a couple of places, by the way, and she was a little more obsessed that way than I could really relate to. Interesting world and magic system. Makes me wonder if she mentions some of the nasty earthquakes there've been lately, and hurricanes like Mitch and Katrina/Rita and Ike in later books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ill Wind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jodi I didn't like where the story started because I felt like I was joining a story in mid-stream. But once I got into it, I was willing to forgive that. I like first person narration and tend to prefer it. I think I have to go order the sequel today.

Kathleen Yeah. I'm interested in reading the next book as well. They call starting a story "in mid-stream" by a Latin (I think) term which means "in the middle of things," but we warn new writers about doing that because if the reader doesn't have any reason to care, they might not keep reading till they do.

Also, one of the problems with first person is how to not tell readers things that the point of view character knows without making the reader feel that the writer is being "coy" or playing mind games. It's pretty tricky, and I don't think Rachel Caine managed it as well as she needed to.

I was willing to keep reading, though, because you liked it so much.