Misti's Reviews > Cry Wolf

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

Sep 29, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, romance, mystery, weres
Recommended for: people who like walking in the snow
Read in September, 2008

Oh, Patty Briggs. Normally you're so good, but this was ultimately really a disappointing read, considering you wrote it. Maybe you needed a break from your regularly strong female protagonists like Mercedes Thompson or the characters from Hob's Bargain, etc. I enjoyed that this book was set in the same universe as Mercy's books, but frankly, I found the whole ordeal to be . . . not "cerebral" but just . . . self-involved, maybe.

Too much of the action here took place in Anna's and Charles' minds. And SOOOO much of the friction/dilemma came directly from misunderstandings due to the fact that your main character was an under-developed girl-child (emotionally, anyway). I had really high hopes for this book, based on the blurb you published in that collection of short stories I read.

Also, let's talk about repetition, shall we?

Your main male protagonist is injured in aforementioned blurb (published in a previous volume, essentially). Oh no! There was silver in it! It's not healing! We got the silver out. It's healing. You tore the wound open, ouch. It's healing a little. Now it's torn open again and you've exhausted yourself. Continue ad infinitum.

Also: Let us drive out to the wilderness! Walk for 2 days in hip-high snow. Return to the cars for no reason! Walk back out to the witch's cabin. Return to the cars! Back to the cabin! Middle of nowhere! Back to the cars! I would have appreciated a numbered journey-map for this set of scenes which was about half the entire book.

All in all? Disappointing. I'll be over here, waiting for "Bone Crossed", and hoping these characters don't make an appearance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry Wolf.