Madison Mitamura's Reviews > James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

U 50x66
May 30, 12

James is a young boy whose parents passed away. Now, he lives with his aunts and is their own personal slave. One night, a man approached James with "magic bugs". James dropped the magic bugs and they went into a peach. This peach eventually grows to the size of their house. One night he eats a part of the peach. This part had a magic bug in it. A large hold then appears in the side of the peach. James climbed through the hole and inside he finds giant bugs. He quickly befriends the bugs. They decide to try and go to the Empire State Building (James' dream). The rest of the book tells of their adventures making their way to the building.

In the book there was a few chapters that talked about the cloud people. The cloud people are the people living in the clouds that make the weather. While James was passing by the cloud people, they grew angry at him and began throwing hail, rain, snow, and even lightning at him. I think this would've been a great scene in the movie, but for some reason the director decided to leave this part out.

I would recommend this book to others if they've seen the movie. I used to watch this movie when I was younger so I love this book! I think the writer could've done a better job with the ending though. It ended really abrupt. If a writer ends a story like this, they need to make a sequel to the book. Otherwise, is just seems like the writer just didn't know how to end the book and it's obvious.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read James and the Giant Peach.