Gina's Reviews > A Deeper Darkness

A Deeper Darkness by J.T. Ellison

Goodreads Description- As a medical examiner, Samantha Owens knows her job is to make a certain sense of death with crisp methodology and precision instruments.

But the day the Tennessee floods took her husband and children, the light vanished from Sam's life. She has been pulled into a suffocating grief no amount of workaholic ardor can penetrate—until she receives a peculiar call from Washington, D.C.

On the other end of the line is an old boyfriend's mother, asking Sam to do a second autopsy on her son. Eddie Donovan is officially the victim of a vicious carjacking, but under Sam's sharp eye the forensics tell a darker story. The ex-Ranger was murdered, though not for his car.

Forced to confront the burning memories and feelings about yet another loved one killed brutally, Sam loses herself in the mystery contained within Donovan's old notes. It leads her to the untouchable Xander, a soldier off-grid since his return from Afghanistan, and then to a series of brutal crimes stretching from that harsh mountainous war zone to this nation's capital. The tale told between the lines makes it clear that nobody's hands are clean, and that making sense of murder sometimes means putting yourself in the crosshairs of death.

I was introduced to this author late last year and Ellison has now become one of my favorite mystery/suspense writers. Her plotlines are always very dynamic but fresh. Its not always the same ole same ole with Ellison. She has finely tuned characters that after reading several from her Taylor Jackson series, I feel that I really know these "people". Ellison also does not resort to what many female mystery writers do which is depend on a romantic aspect. Ellison seems to avoid this filler and actually forms a good story that can catch the attention of female readers without any bodice ripping.

The Deeper Darkness takes a spin from her Jackson series with ME Samantha Owens as lead in this book. After the death of her children and husband she just cannot seem to get it together. Sam gets a call to do a secondary post on her first love, Eddie Donavan. Feeling compelled to do this for her old flame she travels to DC to do the autopsy. From there she inserts herself into the investigation because she feels at fault for the loss of everyone she has ever loved. With many thrills, spins and turns, Ellison again takes us on her hectic journey to find the truth. However, this story is a little different in that is has a more somber tone than any of the books I have read from Ellison. This book made me sad at times to see the hurt in all of these women's souls. I would love to see this book spin into a new series from Ellison. It also deals with the military and the current events in the fighting in Iraq and Afganistan. As a reader, I could definitely tell that she did her homework on her subject matter. I loved having Sam as a lead and there are so many plots to explore with an ME involved in the police investigation. Maybe she can be the newer fresher Patricia Cornwell's Kaye Scarpetta. This is a 5 star must read for any mystery fan!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Deeper Darkness.

07/01/2012 page 136
09/04/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Betsy Glad you liked it. I actually liked it a little better than the Taylor series. I am surprised that you said you feel like you know the characters in the Taylor series. That is the one thing I feel the books are lacking. I do not feel I get to know them at all. Interesting. I guess I am just comparing the books to the Smoky Barrett series by Cody McFayden, BUT that might not be fair. That series is just THE BEST!