Dorian's Reviews > The Invisible Hands - Part 1: Gambit

The Invisible Hands - Part 1 by Andrew Ashling

M_50x66
May 30, 12

Read from April 18 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

Gambit, book four of the Dark Tales of Randamor the Recluse series was a great continuation of the past three and a fantastic starting point for the Invisible Hand trilogy. It picks up where book three ends. For those who haven’t read any of the books, Randamor is actually the storyteller and he charges a price for his tales. In the first three, he told the story to Mandigall the Hunter and I personally think the conversations (technically one sided since you don’t know what Mandigall/Verial are saying, but Randamor’s responses give you an idea) between the two were one of the most enjoyable parts of the book. In this one, he tells his tale to Verial of the Lakes who actually referred Mandigall to Randamor. Funny how that worked out. Any who, Randamor browbeats Verial and begins his tale.

On the level we all care about:

Warlord/Prince Anaxantis is trying to restore his loves self-worth and will after spending two and a half books reducing him to nothing more than pet while trying to build up his domains population.

On the level that keeps the story from becoming to dramatic and frankly sick:

The high king of Ximerionian –Anaxantis’s father- disbands half of his army and asks his son to increase the military presence on his southern border. The warlord sends out spies to ferret out the reason for this. A whore is bought somewhere. A thief screams “I’ll kill you!” in a grungy alleyway. And the eldest son of the high king prepares for glory.

The story was a good read-humor, romance, smartass quips-; my first issue was the amount of characters introduced. It’s a 100,000+ word story, so he has the space to do it, it’s just some of the names are to similar and they get mixed up. My second was certain grammatical error and the fact that the gods were capitalized. Only one god gets it capitalized and that is because it is his name. Well, not really, if you look in the Torah.

Book five/part two is to be released in the last quarter of 2012. I can’t wait. Now, I need to find something else to read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Hands - Part 1.