Ami's Reviews > Black Lament

May 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal-futuristic
Read from November 07 to 13, 2012

I have problems making up my mind about whether I like this book or not, to be honest. I can say that I like some parts and dislike the others. Thus, I'm still giving it my so-so/standard 3-stars rating. Because I cannot say outloud that I dislike it ...

----

On one hand, I started warming up to Maddy in book #3 and my heart broke for her when Gabriel was killed in the hand of her father, Azazel. Even if I never actually cared enough about Gabriel and Maddy's relationship in the first place. Still, killing off the main love interest was uncommon and that was the reason why I was waiting for this story.

HOWEVER, as the story moved along, I remembered why I didn't particularly warm up to Maddy. She was acting reckless, she created enemies left and right, she chose the way of the sword without thinking about the consequences that were brought to herself and the people who cared about her (for example J.B. got the hardest brunt, when Maddy defied the authority of the Agency's top management).

Maddy was all "f*ck the rules" and she was impulsive and closed her ears to advices or warnings from her close friends. More than one time, Beezle told Maddy to be careful but she always justified her actions with "it's kill or be killed - and that I didn't have any choice in this matter". She didn't even TRY to think things through!! So much that I wonder why the others were still fiercely loyal to her. I mean, she was pregnant here, for God's sake.

That is one of my issues with some of the heroines in urban fantasy/paranormal romance series. The author wants the heroine to kick ass but ends up making her feel ridiculously unlikeable.

I am also not particularly too excited with Ms. Henry throwing various mythologies here, like Titania & Oberon's court (which of course, gave Maddy an excuse to create MORE enemies), and then suddenly there were vampires (view spoiler). It was too many things at once, and the Titania & Oberon's story felt so sudden, coming out of the field. Then poof, it disappeared because Maddy got back on her revenge track towards Azazel plus the Agency's management was on her trails as well.

Oh, and everything that is thrown Maddy's way, she easily killed them all. There wasn't even any suspense in it. She got it easy, EVERY TIME (view spoiler) ...

It felt like a mess.

On the other hand ... the other guys, I loved. I loved reading about Samiel (he's definitely one of my favorites) and Beezle (who kept giving comic relief) and Jude. I even warmed up towards Nathaniel, though I wondered where the relationship between him and Maddy would go on. I liked J.B. too, but I was a little turn off with him (view spoiler) so quickly after Gabriel died just few weeks previously. It's sad that I care more about the guys than the main heroine *sigh*

---

Soooo ... VERDICT?

I am not sure if I want to read the next book. If I don't get the urge to know, I will just stop right here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Lament.

11/07
20.0% "Is Nathaniel going to get bigger part after what happened in book #3?? I don't know how to feel about it if it's true ..."
11/11
44.0% "Sooo, after angels, and demons, and werewolves, here comes the fairies, with Titania and Oberon? All righty then ..."
11/11
62.0% "Madeline just cannot catches a break. Full steam ahead, then." 2 comments
01/07 marked as: read

message 1: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Nov 13, 2012 12:21PM) (new)

Experiment BL626 Yeah... I'm putting this series on the back burner. Thank you for the review.

message 2: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami Experiment BL626 wrote: "Yeah... I'm putting this series on the back burner. Thank you for the review."

Yeah, YOU would've hated it. I just felt it.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I completely agree with everything you said. I don't understand why Maddy being pregnant doesn't enter her mind BEFORE She does something reckless, only after when it's, "and I am pregnant after all." She gets beat up so much and it doesn't seem to affect the baby at all, it's barely even an after thought. I am entertained by this series, tho, so I also can't say I don't like it. And I can say Ms. Henry is consistent with her characters - Maddy consistently makes the same decision... I just wish there was more character growth.

message 4: by Ami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ami And I can say Ms. Henry is consistent with her characters - Maddy consistently makes the same decision... I just wish there was more character growth.

Yeah, consistently annoy me *lol*. I do wish for character growth too.

message 5: by Jodie (new)

Jodie I've only read up to the end of book three and I can say I wasn't upset with Gabriel ' s death because I'm just not invested in the characters and to learn she's pregnant...ugh I hate that arc it always gets thrown in and it drives me batty