Mina Villalobos's Reviews > Winter's Heart

Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, politics
Read from May 30 to June 09, 2012

If I thought the previous book had improved greatly in the editorial area, this one starts to limp again a little. There's typos and some really annoying repetitions that had been more tamed in book 8 (braid pulling, skirt straightening, chin lifting, etc) and then there's the super annoying speech traits of the Seanchan. I found that really unnerving.

Other than that, the book starts really fast with an action packed prologue, then gets a slower pace for the rest of the book until you reach the very end, which has been my favorite ending so far. We get to see the scope of the power of the players, not just Rand or the Forsaken, but everyone has kind of gathered a party around them with different traits and power levels and they got to shine at the end of the book. Lots of returning characters that took me a while to remember, familiar faces from book 1 and 2 and 3 that hadn't been back. I liked how they kind of fit into the story, it really felt like a tapestry weave, very seamless and interesting. Mat's sections were probably my favorite, as Mat has slowly been growing on me from being my least favorite to having the best sections on the book. There's less (if any) rape on this book, which is good, but there's still some questionable intimate relationships that make me rise my eyebrow at Robert Jordan. Why does he think humiliating or abusing men in sexual ways is funny? Perrin and Mat both deal with that very off handed, which I found very weird.

All in all, it was pretty eventful and we see more territories developed and more world building, which is probably, in the end, the best part about TWoT.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Heart.