Ad Astra's Reviews > Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

May 30, 12

Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Yes, I really liked it. No, I won't be reading it again. I just finished "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" and I'm sort of stuck. I have some mixed feelings about it. It's definitely a TOTAL feel good book, with some harder alcoholism and abuse to get through. Ouch. Nothing I'll be reading over again or raving about. But I did actually really like the movie too. However... there was no abuse in the movie, and all the older women who were drinking and alcoholics were just fabulous, entitled, and without any real actual problems.

The book sort of ended in a flowery mamby pamby kind of way too. It got a little too sweet for me to sit through. The author kept making a point of how one of the characters was gonna let loose, and there were some nice ties between a daughter who wishes (and has made a career of) directing were possible, and the inevitability of life that swings you this way and that.

However, this daughter also cancels her wedding on a guy who does NOTHING wrong EVER in the book except write her these beautiful letters about how sexy and desirable she is while she tromps off to "go find herself" and try to learn "how to love". Which is ridiculous, I've pretty much figured that last part out already myself. You just do it. You love your parents even though your mom is an over emotional, highly sensitive, incredibly manipulative woman with the brains of at least a small world leader. You love your significant other through the thick and thin, you anticipate their weaknesses and you help them find themselves again in their darkest hours. You don't abandon them, lay around saying you're too weak and not worthy of love, then get rescued have makeup sex and everything is okay, NO! Man, if I were friends with that Connor guy, I'd say, "Dude, this shit is not cool. You don't let someone call off an engagement and just run away like that. She's crazy for giving you up." The father figure is almost completely absent too, and receives little blame. Honestly, sounds like the way one of my family members relates to their parents.

But the book is fun. It was a nice read, a nice world to be apart of. A lot of melodramatic women doing ridiculous, too much money emotional things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.