Mel (Daily Prophecy)'s Reviews > The Queen's Choice

Nov 13, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: review-copy, netgalley, read-2014, disappointing
Read from February 05 to 21, 2014

I’m not sure what is going on, but most of the books I’ve been reading lately are ‘meh’. I was in need of a book to blow me away and I was hoping to find it in The queen’s choice. Unfortunately, it wasn’t what I was looking for. This book ended up being a slow-paced story where almost nothing happens. I never had the feeling I was sucked into the story and I was always looking for more.

The first thing where this book goes wrong for me is the plot. It’s very thin and with the sickening slow pace, it’s not the most exciting tale. With a magical place where the fey live next to our land, the search for a lost prince and the hunt on fairies, I was hoping to get something more interesting. The world-building was definitely good, but the promise failed to deliver.

Anya, who is chosen to be the heir after the announcement that the Queen will die soon, loses her wings when she ventures into the human world. She hopes to find the prince before her cousin, Illumina, does. She teams up with a human girl called Mary and this is where all the problems start. Her time in Chrior was good, but things went downhill in our land. The two of them definitely know how to get into difficult situations, but I never felt any tension or excitement. Things just happened, they fixed it and they moved on. There was never a climax and with 512 pages, I would have expected more.

The next problem is my disconnection with any of the characters. I liked some, but I don’t have the idea I know them. Illumina was by far the most fascinating, with her desire to carve things into her body and her weird, almost crazy way of thinking. Anya isn’t a bad character either. She is strong and I like how determined she is. At the same time, she is a bit too rash and jumps easily into dangerous situations. Her sidekick Mary/Shae was okay. She has her way with words and I like that she did everything to protect her family.

I want to give credits for the fact that Kluver stayed away from any fairy cliches and that there is hardly any romance. Anya is already in a relationship and her tension for a human guy was a nice addition. It would have been much better with less pages and more engaging developments. The ending provided a twist and combined with the good writing-style, it might be enough to make me read the next installment.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Choice.

02/05/2014 marked as: currently-reading
02/05/2014
7.0% "I like it so far."
02/11/2014
33.0% "Pfff, it's very slow."
02/21/2014
65.0% "It's slow and not much happens, but it's good enough to finish."
02/21/2014 marked as: read