Marie's Reviews > Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Jul 04, 14

bookshelves: british, fiction, history, young-adult-etc
Read from May 30, 2012 to July 04, 2014, read count: 3

This book is about friendship and unbelievable bravery.

Several of my friends and countless people on the internet had reacted so strongly this book so much that I was afraid I just wouldn't have the same emotional reaction to it because I expected too much. And then there's the fact that I just don't generally get all weepy over books... But it didn't disappoint. Based on friend's reactions I felt like I had a pretty good handle on what to expect, even though I didn't know specific spoilers - and sure, I knew better than to expect a happily-ever-after ending, so in that sense I was prepared. But there were other things for which I was Not Prepared.

Specifically awesome things: Wein is a pilot herself, so all the aviation bits are super realistic. I think this helps make those parts more interesting to non-aviators, just because she really knows what she's writing about.

The intricacy/duel nature of the plot (and the subject matter, of course) reminds me a great deal of Willis' work in Blackout/All Clear. Once you get to the end you'll want to go back and read it again to see how all the puzzle pieces fit together.

And my plug for why Twitter Is Awesome: while reading Code Name Verity, I followed Wein on Twitter and struck up a conversation with her about cats. Yay accessible authors! And also squee and stuff.

And yes, I did cry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Code Name Verity.

05/31 page 236
52.0% "I get a little teary every time I think about all the bravery in this book."
05/31 page 452
06/16 page 100
22.0% "Yes, again."
07/04 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ruth I've been thinking of reading this and Rose Under Fire again at some point this summer! Bethany and I were helping a friend get her wedding favors ready this week, and we were talking about the smell of Hershey's chocolate and Beef and I looked at each other and I knew immediately what she was thinking! :(