Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Jul 31, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction

I read this first when I was young...we're talking young-young here, and my memories of it were of a sort of space opera. I'd remembered it along with many of Heinlein's "teen" or youth books. When I mentioned this it was pointed out to me (rather forcefully by some) that my memories were...incomplete.

Well, they were. While a young reader will see a "space rebellion" here the story itself is a well written tale of political science and human nature. Heinlein gives a very well done debate and/or picture of humans at their best and their worst.

I also suspect that we see some of his own frustration with certain parts of society.

The book is not only good and enthralling for itself but there are side issues that are just as interesting. For example the idea of future 21st century science and technology from the viewpoint of 1966 (phones still need cords for example but there is a self aware computer).

While Mr. Heinlein and I would certainly not have agreed on all points I think we would have agreed on the most basic points of government and it's "uses". I think this book deserves my highest recommendation. And it is (as noted before me of course) a science fiction classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.

Quotes Mike (the Paladin) Liked

Robert A. Heinlein
“There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.”
Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

Robert A. Heinlein
“There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.”
Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Denis I started with Heinlein, "The Past Through Tomorrow" and on to "Rocket ship," and to "Farnham's." By the time I got to "The Mistress" I believed I have stumbled onto one of the best SF novels ever written. This was not a juvenile novel. What defines "Juvey" is the age of the protagonist.

Mike (the Paladin) Possibly but I was the young one when I read it. I'd read Starship Troopers, Space Cadet, Sterman Jones (I highly recommend this if you can find it), Have Space Suit Will Travel, Tunnel in the Sky, The Door into Summer...on and on. I got on a real Heinlein kick. This one didn't make that big an impression on a kid. I need to go back and reread others (I have several). Adult viewpoint added to youthful one.

message 3: by Denis (last edited Aug 01, 2012 04:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Denis Loved Citizen, Star Beast, Between Planets, Red Planet, but was indifferent to Spacesuit and Podkayne.

Mike (the Paladin) Some have stayed with me more than others over the years. I think Glory Road was very close to my favorite "back when".

Sarah Bronte Rodgers i believe there is a polyandry families units on that moon colony. everybody mention this from this novel.