Chris's Reviews > The Rest Is Silence

The Rest Is Silence by Scott Fotheringham

Jun 06, 12

My bias is strong on this one because Scott is not only a dear friend, he was also part of my writing group for a time. I read an earlier draft of this book's opening and had some insider knowledge of events that for most readers would have been revealed much more slowly. Further to this, Scott and I share a similar worldview, and he deals with many of the same themes that consistently occupy me. So it's no surprise that I loved his book.

Having said all that, in as objective a tone as I can muster: this is a fabulous novel. The story is compelling, a page-turner, and rendered in direct, eloquent prose. The result is an unflinchingly honest heart breaker, which will profoundly resonate for anyone even remotely aware of what human beings are doing to the planet. The characters are fully realized and believable people. They are as imperfect as anyone you know, and we want them to be OK, ache when they are not. And for those of us who care, which I think is most of us, Scott captures the sadness of that knowledge in a way that will leave a haunting echo across Canada's literary landscape.

You should absolutely read this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rest Is Silence.