Carol's Reviews > Goodbye for Now

Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel

May 30, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, first-reads
Read from June 05 to 10, 2012

Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel had me on the fence at the beginning, trying to decide if I liked it or not. My conclusion is that is great book but could benefit with some careful editing.

It is very difficult to refrain from telling the story so I am going to try to just tell the beginning. Sam Elling just got fired from an internet dating agency because he did his job too well. With the go ahead from the agency, he improved the software so that people were matched better. He matched them too good so many got married and the dating service’s revenues fell off. Sam is a geek down to clothes that he wore. In the beginning of the book, there is so much information about him that I just wanted the book to get on with the story.

Sam’s girlfriend’s grandmother died. Meredith loved her Grandmother Livvy so much. They had kept in contact through e-mail and video cams. She was inconsolable. He felt bad that she felt so bad. Now this book gets out of the ordinary! Out of love for Meredith, he invents a program based on their past e-mails. Meredith can now e-mail her deceased grandmother and get replies!! Even stranger, when Meredith wants video chatting, he figures out how to do that. I think that is all you need to know about the story. As you can imagine, the story is very inventive.

My only quarrel with this book is that it is too long in some of the beginning and a little in the middle. It manages to mix laugh out loud humor with serious ethical questions. This book is definitely thought provoking! The characters are well developed and when you managed to glide over the parts that need to be shorted, it is a real page turner.

I highly recommend this book with a caveat that there will be some places that need to be shortened.

I received this book as a win from the GoodReads program but that in no way influenced my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodbye for Now.

06/08/2012 page 47