Alien Citizen's Reviews > Passionate Vegetarian

Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon

Jul 22, 07

bookshelves: cookbooks
Recommended for: Anyone who likes to eat.
Read in August, 2005

This cookbook is my all time favorite of all the many vegetarian cookbooks I have used throughout 14 years of cooking. It is very large but is both cohesive and easily accessible. Her writing too is very clear with an informal style to the stories preceding most recipes that is comfortable and compelling to read (like a conversation among friends). The recipes are delicious and really demonstrate the range of possibilities in homestyle vegetarian cooking. There are recipes made with tofu, seitan, and tempeh (as well as none of the above) and does it all in new and innovative ways that taste great and can't be found in other cookbooks (her angel biscuits are incredible). I think this is key as many cookbooks repeat each other. This one is very original. Having read all her stories and tried several recipes (once I tried a few, I was hooked), I feel as if I have sat down before to have a meal with her in the inn she ran with her late husband. Also, though this is called The Passionate Vegetarian, many of the recipes include easy vegan variations and all recipes include ingredients that are easy to find if not already on hand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passionate Vegetarian.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Wow...what a great review! Okay, I must find this cookbook. So many out there for vegetarians and vegans are boring or too fancy. I always say people have no idea how gooooood vegetarians eat! But I have yet to find a vegetarian cookbook that demonstrates what I know from the experience of being a vegetarian for many years. I am also one of those people who likes to read a cookbook like a novel from beginning to end. Sounds like this one fits that bill as well.

BTW, are these all stove/oven recipes, or are there plenty of microwave recipes as well? Thanks for such a tantilizing review of this book!