Carol's Reviews > The Reluctant Matchmaker

The Reluctant Matchmaker by Shobhan Bantwal

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: 2012, asian-indian
Read from July 02 to 05, 2012

The Reluctant Matchmaker by Shoban Bantwal is an engrossing and a fast read. I did think that it was a little slow in the beginning. Meena Shenoy is 31 year old marketing and public relations executive for Rathnaya, Inc. She loves her job and is starting to get nagging from her parents and other relatives to get married. She is also feeling the time clock working against her. She is Hindu and of the Brahmin caste and the same subtype (Sarawat) as the boss of the company. She appreciates her great uncle’s advice to prepare yourself and also be sure to pray to Lord Ganesh, the elephant headed God. (p.2). She works in New Jersey and most of the employees in this company are Indian.

She works with Pinky and Paul is her direct boss. Both of them are her allies in the crises that she faces in this book. The sparks start flying when she and the boss, Prayay Nayak collide and Meena end up on the floor. She flew right on her bottom, hurt her ankle and was surprised to see just how tall Para yak was. She always thought of herself as very short, being 5’feet tall and he was well over 6’ tall. He is 39 years old. She thinks of him as the Jolly Green Giant at least one in this book. He is instantly worried that he hurt this dainty, fragile person. She received medical attention and when he drives her back and forth to work when she has recovered enough to work. He sends her flowers and seems concerned for her as an employee.

One day he requests that she meet him after work in private. She is excited because even though he is very tall she feels an attraction to him. But instead of asking her for a date he wants to her to work for him as his matchmaker. Not what she had in mind!

After the first part of setting of the story and the characters, the story immediately picks up speed and gets very interesting from the moment the two characters collide. The story is written with humor and wit and does make you think about bigger issues. Aunt Akka is one of my favorite characters, she is not traditional but she does seem to have a lot of wisdom and definitely understands people.

I would recommend this book for anyone interested in contemporary Indian culture in the United States. I do not ordinarily like romances but the wit and humor won me over.

I received this book from The Library Thing and that in no way influenced my review.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Matchmaker.

07/02/2012 page 46
07/05/2012 page 352
100.0% "Review to come soon."
show 3 hidden updates…