Molly's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Sep 27, 2008

bookshelves: favorites
Read in September, 2008

If you liked this book, check out Battle Royale. Written in 1999, translated into English in 2003.

Fifty 3rd year junior high school (14-15 years old) classes are isolated, and the students required to fight to the death until one remains. Their movements are restricted by metal collars around their necks which contain tracking and listening devices; if any student should attempt to escape The Program, or enter declared "danger zones", a bomb will be detonated in the collar, killing the wearer. If no student dies in any 24 hour period, all collars will be detonated simultaneously.
Okishima Island map as depicted in the film; the lists in Japanese are the students' names.

After being briefed about The Program, the students are issued survival packs which include a map, compass, flashlight, food and water, and a random weapon or item, which may be anything from a gun to a paper fan.

There's just so much MORE. I read Battle Royale 5 years ago and while I'm sure this story isn't anything new, when I read the summary for THE HUNGER GAMES I had to take a moment to be slightly outraged that BATTLE ROYALE was being plagiarized so blatantly. Don't worry, after taking a deep breath, and reading the book, I realize that while the plot is about 95% the same, there are differences between the two. But still.

Seriously though. Check out BATTLE ROYALE. There's a few different translations, English for sure, along with a manga, and two movies (in Japanese, but available with English subtitles).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

04/08/2016 marked as: read

Nicole I love Battle Royale. I heard about the movie and the book back in my college days way before The Hunger Games came out.