Joshua Zucker's Reviews > Tigana

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

May 29, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Wow. Quite a fascinating book. The prologue had me hooked, but then the first chapters really annoyed me because I already liked the people from the prologue and I could see that they were from another time, so I wouldn't be seeing them again.

Like most of this author's work, the characters here seem more like they exist to communicate a certain message, not so much like they're real people, but there are still some fascinating interactions and I cared more about these characters than in a lot of his other books (like Fionavar). The story here was interesting, but most of all it raised a lot of very interesting moral questions and dealt with them in complex ways. There aren't many easy answers for these people.

It's also nice that the most sympathetic characters aren't necessarily the good guys, and that even the evillest characters have some clear motivation behind what they're doing (though at least one is clearly sociopathic, so not very sympathetic, at least there's a real motivation there).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigana.