Jaiden's Reviews > Dualed

Dualed by Elsie Chapman

Jan 27, 2013

bookshelves: waiting-in-2013, arc-copy, crushes, dystopian, e-books, favorites, for-review
Read from January 21 to 24, 2013 — I own a copy

Originally posted at: Girls on YA Books

~Review:
This book drawed my attention from the very start. From its total kick-ass cover (props to the cover designer!!) and its even awesomer synopsis/book blurb...I knew I had to read it! The whole fighting to the death..with yourself blew my mind. The concept! Could you imagine?

From the beginning Dualed hooks, lines, and sinkers you. I was fully enthralled in its pages not wanting to put it down. Elsia Chapman is an amazing and talented writer. Not only is her imagination genius to produce a book like this but her writing is very well done. I will admit that at times I had trouble following along. There seemed to be things missing every now and then. At points it wasn't smooth like books should be and I don't know if that's because of the ARC or the writing. The things that did make sense and flowed were writing wonderfully and had my full attention.

I think I would have liked more background. More history and facts. At the beginning I had a hard time understanding the Alt business. I had questions like "So is one a clone with no real personality?", "Do they have the same families and it just be like them in an alternate life?". I kind of had to make my own assumptions after awhile and I would have liked it all just better explained I guess. Other than that and the piece parts at times...AMAZING! I trully loved this book!

I enjoyed West. She was a rock solid girl from the beginning that slowly unraveled showing a more vulnerable side but at the same time she never truly unraveled. She just had minor setbacks which in the end made her even stronger. She had to go through some self-finding issues along with grief and trust. West had to obstacle after obstacle and her past haunted her. I liked how she got stronger the weaker she became. (If that can make any sense). I really liked Chord too. Well...ok I really really loved Chord. ;D He was persistent and protective. He is the only stable thing West has throughout the book and as much as she tries to push him away, literally running from him at times...he stays and he follows and he protects. They drove me absolutely bananas cause you could literally feel the attracted tension seeping through the pages and I was yelling at them to hurry up and freaking kiss!!! Then of course when everything went well...it was worth the wait! ;D

Dualed is a wonderful debut you are not going to want to miss this 2013 year! Edgy, action packed and motivational this book has some awesome factors tied in. I honestly don't know where book 2 is going to go but I guess we will have to wait and see. I highly recommend this book to all you dystopian lovers! It kicks butt for sure! I wanted to give it a full 5 star rating but because of the time-to-time pieciness and the lack of more explaining I will give it a 4.5 but hell...only .5 got deducted. It was seriously good no doubt about it!

~Rating:

4.5 of 5 stars!

*Disclaimer..a copy was provided by Netgalley for review purposes*
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dualed.

01/24/2013
46.0% "I really like it!!! :D and I'm dying to see some action with Chord if you know what I mean ;D seriously. Just admit you feel for each other and kiss!!!!!! >;P" 10 comments
01/24/2013
100.0% "Ahhhhhh!!!! so good!!! a great ending!! I have no clue what book two is supposed to even start to be about though....still very much amazing! :D oh and I love Chord ;P"