Shirley's Reviews > Imperfect Bliss

Imperfect Bliss by Susan Fales-Hill

Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, e-book

BOOK REVIEW OF “IMPERFECT BLISS: A Novel”
BY SUSAN FALES-HILL
304 pages; Atria Books
Release date: July 3, 2012

NOTE: A copy of this novel was provided to me by the publisher for the purpose of review through Netgalley.

If you’re looking for just the right book to hit the beach with this summer or to relax with while lounging by the pool, Imperfect Bliss by Susan Fales-Hill, is a good choice.

It’s a quick, fun read that will have many of us reflecting fondly on our own dysfunctional family life.

Our heroine, Bliss, finds herself at life’s crossroads; trying to come to terms with her failed marriage and always on the lookout for “Mr. Right”. She is working hard to complete her higher education in hopes of gaining a means to move back out on her own; away from her parents’ home and all the dysfunctionality she and her small daughter are surrounded with there. Bliss is determined that her daughter, Bella, will not grow up believing in the “happily ever after” fantasy world that she and her sisters were lured into by their mother. Things are quickly turning into a circus on the homefront, as her sister lands the starring role in a reality tv series entitled “The Virgin”. This is nearly more than the highly intellectual Bliss can bear and goes against every principle that she believes in.

This mixed race family has all it can handle with four girls vying for their perfectionist mother’s approval; a mother who was raised in Jamaica under a dreadful cloud of prejudice and denied approval and so many other things because of the color of her skin and wants so much more for her daughters. She is striving to marry off each of her girls to someone who makes Prince Charming pale in comparison. Bliss has failed her mother in every way possible. Distanced from her mom, she has developed a special bond with her father, a quiet man from England, who tends to hide behind his paper and let his wife take center stage.

The story is well written and the characters have been brought to life for us masterfully by the author. This book stands out as one of those “summer finds” that makes a very pleasant and enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperfect Bliss.