Kabe's Reviews > Darth Paper Strikes Back

Darth Paper Strikes Back by Tom Angleberger

U 50x66
May 30, 2012

liked it

As the second installment of the Origami Yoda book series, Darth Paper Strikes Back finds the gang from McQuarrie School is now in seventh grade. This time, Dwight, the man behind Origami Yoda himself is at the risk of suspension, so Tommy and the crew must put together a case file to prove his innocence. However, events continue to complicate as “The Dark Side” emerges with Harvey’s creation of Darth Paper. The book paints a near perfect image of the life of a middle-schooler in which young readers can relate to and older generations can feel nostalgia over. The doodles and illustrations in the margin of the textured notebook paper add to the fun of reading this novel. However, many of the problems that plague the original novel still exist. Due to underdevelopment of some of the books secondary characters, I often found myself leafing through previous pages to find out who certain characters were. Anleberger ensures that you do not have to read the first installment to understand the second, but if you were a fan of the first book I would recommend Darth Paper Strike Back as this book does a decent job of keeping the favorite aspects of the first while still adding new elements to make it interesting. Angleberger still does craft a fun, whimsical middle school adventure, however I believe it would be more effective if he focused on the story of a few main characters rather than weigh the flow of the story down by confusing the reader with adding unnecessary, underdeveloped secondary characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darth Paper Strikes Back.