Mandy's Reviews > Thumped

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in June, 2012

So not what I expected.

Thumped is written in the same brilliant, honest way the Megan McCafferty always writes. There's nothing wrong with the plot or the characters; they all act in a way that feels rational for their personalities. The problem is not in the book, it's what's not in it.

This novel starts much like the last one, propelling you into a world with no background and no context. This book takes place nine months after the last one left off and you're given no immediate idea as to what happened in the meantime-- a shock that takes a while to get over and prevents you from getting sucked into the novel right away.

The rest of the plot is interesting enough. It's a good story and the relationships between the two main characters and their respective boys made me squirm in anticipation. I urged Harmony on and I groaned at Zen's stupidity with Melody. While Johndoe's affection for Harmony is a little cheesy and hard to believe, it's not the worst thing ever.

The reason I begrudgingly give this book a three (I'm honestly leaning more towards a 2.5) is because of the ending. There are SO many things that just aren't resolved! A love triangle left unfinished! A major conflict just written off without another thought! Since when did the twins' birth mother become such a big issue? What happened to Ventura Vida? How do things work out with Johndoe? How do things work out with the Jaydens? What happens with Melody and Zen?

I don't know the last time a book frustrated me this much. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that there's just no more information coming in about the characters. I'm pretty sure that this wasn't McCafferty's way of setting up for another novel, it's just the end. A terrible end. It says something to how good the writing is that I'm this invested in the lives of the characters, but this book just killed me. I'm so disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thumped.