Keith Moser's Reviews > Lexapros and Cons

Lexapros and Cons by Aaron Karo

Oct 02, 2014

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult
Read from May 29 to 31, 2012 , read count: 1

I've been subscribing to Aaron Karo's Ruminations newsletter for over a year now and when I heard he was writing a YA novel, I thought, "The 'Fuck me.' guy?!"

And while Lexapros and Cons is probably meant for mature Young Audiences (the opening line: "In the past year, I masturbated exactly 468 times"), it still reads as quickly as any other YA novel I've read (finished it in just three days!). The protagonist, Chuck Taylor (no relation) suffers from OCD and one of his first compulsions begins with his vast collection of Converse All Stars: his emotion dictates the color shoe he wears that day.

The novel seemingly deals with OCD very accurately. I'm sure real sufferers may have qualms over a few details but it presents the disease well, gaining real sympathy for Chuck. Yet it does it with real humor and heart. I sometimes think I have some minor OCD (avoiding cracks in sidewalks or color breaks on carpets for instance), but Chuck himself hates when people say that when they find out what he has. There's a difference between my weird avoidance of cracks/color breaks and the compulsion that some suffer. But I still found myself relating to Chuck in several ways.

Especially when it comes to that first crush. Chuck falls head over heels for Amy, a girl new to his class the last semester of senior year. Is it sad that I relate to a 17-year-old high schooler who finds it hard to talk to the pretty ginger he has a crush on? Perhaps, but it made reading the book all the more enjoyable. I kept thinking how much I'd love to see this adapted into a film--although, I do admit a lot of the inner monologues Chuck has about his struggles with his compulsions may be difficult to film. Still, a great debut novel by one funny comedian.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lexapros and Cons.

05/29/2012 page 62
26.0% "Is it weird that I feel like I just have to read one more chapter of the book about OCD so that I finish an even-numbered chapter?"
05/29/2012 page 65
27.0% "I feel like I should leave my bookmark on an even chapter, not finish an even chapter... #OCD"
show 1 hidden update…