Anna's Reviews > The Princesses of Iowa

The Princesses of Iowa by M. Molly Backes

May 29, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in May, 2012

Knew about it and read it because the author went to my college - didn't know her there, but Grinnellians are lovely and look out for each other, so I figured I'd support her and give it a shot. And I absolutely loved it. In my work - mostly supporting secondary students' literacy - mediocre young adult novels are kind of just an occupational hazard. That this book had complex characters, didn't shy away from taking on huge issues, and pushed characters and readers to confront beliefs and decisions they've made is my absolute highest praise. I love that this book didn't fall into tired story lines and tropes, that the writing was fresh and beautiful, and that I grew to love characters, flaws and all, as I read this. And I love that this novel fearlessly took on homophobia and drinking and drunk driving and peer pressure and popularity and ALL of it. So, so glad I had a chance to read this beautiful book, and can't wait for her next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Princesses of Iowa.