Bev's Reviews > The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy

The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy by Robert Leleux

May 29, 12

bookshelves: autobiography, logos
Read in May, 2012

When I picked this up at Logos today, I was thinking of David Sheff's "Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction." I didn't remember the title or the author, but I just remembered that it had the words "beautiful boy" in it. And I remember thinking that maybe I might want to read it. So when I sat down and started to read, imagine my surprise to discover that this was a memoir of a young gay boy and his rather odd family, especially his flamboyant mother. This reads like David Sidaris on tranquilizers...not quite as riotous, but equally interesting.

The book starts the day Robert and his mother come home from their weekly trip for hair and nail treatments at Neiman Marcus, to discover a note left by the father saying he was leaving them penniless. Adjustment to their situation, selling off all the fancy clothes and jewelry, the search for a new (old, rich) husband, and Robert's coming of age as a gay man (he had no idea he was until he met the man who would become his husband) is a delightful story, with unforgettable scenes (like Mother's having her head shaved and a wig superglued to her scalp, or the terrifying trip to the "emergency room," where, unbeknownst to Robert, his mother has an appointment for plastic surgery.

A nice surprise and not at all as depressing as the story of a father dealing with his son's addiction!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memoirs of a Beautiful Boy.