Gretchen's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

2201694
Jun 11, 12

Read from May 29 to June 11, 2012

This is not a typical Augusten Burroughs book. There is no dark humor, and he actually seems sincere in his advice. I did think he had some interesting things to say, and I agreed with him on some points (I especially liked the sections on having confidence, getting the job, and failing). I'm not sure, though, what makes him uniquely qualified to give such advice.

The topics in this book are all over the place, with very few having any relevance to me or even to one another (though there is a progression of sorts). I do not, for instance, have an eating disorder, an alcohol addiction, or a sick child. Burroughs often used his own experience to explain why there would be a focus on such diverse topics and why we should consider him an authority on the subject, but some essays were missing this entirely, making me wonder where the ideas even came from.

Not a bad read, especially if you want a book to read in short spurts over the course of a few weeks, but this is definitely not one of his better ones. I do like that he is trying new things as a writer, though.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.