April Corbett (Dorris)'s Reviews > The Mistress's Daughter

The Mistress's Daughter by A.M. Homes

May 30, 2012

liked it
Read from May 29 to 30, 2012

This book was bought through my Audible subscription and thank God its only a little over 5 hours. The reader is not good. She gets better after the first couple of chapters but she is clearly drunk or highly drugged during some of her sessions. It is distracting fromt eh content of the book but it does improve.

The story premise of the book is interesting but it gets boring when the author goes through some of the genealogy facts that she has found. It was like reading Genesis Chapter 5, which I think of as the begat section (Father begat son that married wife that died after birth of son. Son begat G1, G2, G3...so on and so forth.). A lot of connections that mean nothing practical today. The boredom repeats with the litany of unanswered questions fromt he lawyer. Both just seem like ways to up the word count and both could have been cut severely.

The book just seems to loose direction after awhile. Interesting read but I would only recommend it to a select group of people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mistress's Daughter.