Rachel Fisher's Reviews > The Legacy

The Legacy by Gemma Malley

Jun 08, 12

Read on May 29, 2012

** spoiler alert ** For more of my reviews go to www.rachelefisher.com

Title: The Legacy
Author: Gemma Malley
Rating: 4 Stars

Amazon Summary: When a Pincent Pharmaceutical van is ambushed by the rebel group known as the Underground, its contents come as a huge surprise-not drugs, but corpses in a horrible state. It appears that the pharmaceutical company’s top drug, Longevity-which is supposed to eradicate disease and ensure eternal life-isn’t living up to its promises. Now a virus is sweeping the country, killing hundreds in its wake, and Longevity is powerless to fight it. But when the unscrupulous head of Pincent claims that the Underground is responsible for releasing the virus, it’s up to Peter, Anna, and their friends to alert the world to the terrifying truth behind Longevity before it’s too late.

My Review
I liked that this one was much more science fiction and science in general than the prior two. I loved the introduction of the virus because the premise is so good: Nature cannot be contained. (A-la, Jurassic Park) I would say that it makes me a real smartypants that I agree, except that there’s so much evidence to support this premise that I would be an idiot to disagree. Regardless, it makes an excellent end to this trilogy. Of course a single drug wouldn’t hold up over centuries! Particularly if that drug were simply a copy of an unknown formula and no one was left with sufficient brilliance to re-invent it.

So begins and ends The Legacy. Man has overreached and yet has redeemed himself all in one. I warn you, this review will now contain SPOILERS.

What I Loved – As I said, more science! I enjoyed learning the backstory of Longevity. I dislike when a dystopian proposes something of this magnitude and then refuses to tell you how it happened. Despite this, the backstory was not wanting in the prior books, it was more well-done (this tension) than I realized at first. It’s delivered at exactly the right time. I liked the further development of Jude. He was a little one-dimensional in the second book (poor lucky legal boy…bored, disconnected, insecure). In this book his development into a true member of the Resistance with all the paranoia and challenge that it entails relative to his former life, is believable. It makes him more believable. Although besides his captivation with her red hair, it’s hard to see what he sees in Sheila.

Sheila, Sheila, Sheila. It’s interesting the way Malley makes you dislike and suspect her because she’s such a pain in the —, but she is more complex and more simple than you realize. She is far more skilled than she lets on as you find when she gets into Jude’s computer, but she is STILL desperate to find her parents after all these years. It’s touching and sad when she is manipulated into believing that a living couple is her parents, who are, in fact, dead. AND Malley makes you think that Sheila has betrayed everyone and sent illicit messages to Richard Pincent, when in fact, it was someone else…very unexpected. Malley uses Sheila’s outward personality to lead you astray.

Anna – I like that she’s finally TOUGH again in this one. You forget how tough she was in the first, when she’d been put into solitary and broken all her own rules of obedience. She transformed and then in Book Two and early Book Three, she kind of got soft again in some ways. She tiptoed around resistance while Peter raced toward it. Of course, she had children to consider, but in the end, that is what finally makes her brave again. Her mother’s love, the bravery that flares when one has to defend one’s child. It lights the pilot light that burns in her heart and she stands up to her captors and tells them to be afraid even when her situation looks as dire as is possible.

Pip - I loved this particular twist, when you find out who he actually is. It worked, it had adequate foreshadowing, and it made a lot of sense. It was very gratifying and helped tie together everything he’d done, including ceasing his use of Longevity and turning himself in. It was a long con…but it was well worth it.

The tiny bit of doubt at the end. Brava! Some people dislike this, but I found it amusing, credible and unnerving. I’m assuming that’s what she was going for…
What Could Have Been Improved – Derek. Not sure I could really buy Derek’s turnaround in the end. I didn’t understand how he’d “faked” being the Devil’s Right Hand Man for over a century. They tortured and killed thousands of people, particularly children, with their rules and processes and experiments. If Derek was too “soft” to kill ol’ Albert Fern, then how could he have tortured members of the Resistance? And children? How could he pretend to be so diabolically evil? Because no matter how much Pincent is portrayed as the true villain (and he gets WAY more disgusting in this one), I really was afraid of Derek. He’s the hand of Death, the man with a case full of scary instruments of torture. Can you fake that? Maybe I needed more signs of wavering along the way…or maybe I missed them. In the end, I acquiesced. I allowed for the possibility that one “mole” at a very high, very trusted level was necessary to topple the entire world’s investment in immortality.

Sometimes the POV changes were hard to identify and I would be confused for a few sentences until I settled into the new “brain” that was telling the story.

I’d say overall that the pacing and intrigue in this book was amped up and very enjoyable. The book I enjoyed the most of the three was, surprisingly (to me), the Resistance, but I enjoyed The Legacy nonetheless. I recommend it to fans of dystopians.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Legacy.

05/29/2012 page 272