Michelle's Reviews > Friends Like Us

Friends Like Us by Lauren Fox

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary-fiction, chick-lit
Read from May 29 to June 01, 2012

This book is very “Something Borrowed.” Protagonist has two best friends, one male, one female. She sets them up and voila! Love ensues. She then must promptly face her misgivings about the situation, namely, male BFF’s love not flowing in her direction. In this the female friend (Jane) is not a bitch as portrayed in Something Borrowed and the three do seem to have a deep connection. Their repartee and banter is pretty funny even when it’s purposefully corny. I did find the writing a notch above comparable books and I definitely snickered a few times (in a good way). One of the book’s highlights is Willa’s (the protagonist) relationship with her brother, which is very bittersweet and well-told. The author handled this expertly and I wished it was highlighted more. I did like the ending, it’s different, as well as the setup (we know from the get-go things sort of blow up in Willa’s face). I do think the ending will turn off a LOT of people but for me it differentiated the book. This is a pretty light and fast read, not life-changing but not total fluff as the writing itself is quite sharp.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friends Like Us.