Rebecca's Reviews > Crawling Between Heaven and Earth

May 29, 12

liked it
bookshelves: anthologies, fantasy, science-fiction
Read in May, 2012

This is a perfectly acceptable but somewhat forgettable set of stories. They're all reasonably competent and entertaining, but nothing really sings. I read this a week ago, and I'm already having trouble remembering which stories went with a few of the titles.

Some are reasonably clever and appealing. "Ariadne's Skein" features a bio-construct on a vacation that goes awry in a horrifying and poignant fashion. Others, like "Elvis Died for Your Sins", are professionally executed but feel rather like a dozen similar "weird shit happens" stories I've read in a dozen places. The two stories clearly drawn from her novels both revolve around Shakespeare--I found neither one particularly compelling, I'm afraid.

You will not regret reading these, but you also will not feel particularly passionate about them. They're conveniently part of the Baen free library, so they make an excellent fall back to load onto an eReader in case you run out of more enthralling fare.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crawling Between Heaven and Earth.