Rebecca's Reviews > The Governess Affair

The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan

May 29, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, romance
Read in May, 2012

This novella is actually intended to introduce a series of full length novels. Which is somewhat of a pity, because what I really want is more of this couple.

Hugo, a supposedly heartless fixer, is a fascinating character--interestingly ruthless but not actually without decency. Serena is more than his match. Their verbal sparring is the core of this book, and I loved it. I particularly liked their ridiculous argument carried on by note over the course of a day. I'm sure the people sitting next to me thought I was insane every time I burst out laughing.

Really, all the problems stem from the fact this is a novella and I really wanted a full-length novel with the characters. There are some threads left hanging, such as the agoraphobic sister, that I assume are set-ups for the later books. And well, I just wanted more time with them. Their story is over and pretty much done--the best I can hope for is walk-ons in their son's story. (Blah, blah spoilers. What did you expect? It's a romance.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Governess Affair.