Joy Weese Moll's Reviews > American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America

American Grown by Michelle Obama

Oct 20, 12

Read in October, 2012

I loved the way American Grown is organized, four seasons for four themes while the story of the White House garden is woven seamlessly throughout.

The Spring section was all about the beginning of the garden, including the first planting day with the help of local fifth-graders. There are also tips for starting your own garden and making use of the produce in the kitchen.

The summer section covers community gardens and farmers’ markets around the country and how the White House garden serves as a focus for community.

The fall harvest chapter highlighted efforts to improve health by improving food, including school gardens and Growing Power, the movement that I wrote about here: Book Review: The Good Food Revolution by Will Allen.

The Winter chapter talks about the children, our future, including the Let’s Move initiative to reduce childhood obesity and restore health.

More on my blog, including the story of how I converted the Sweet Potato Quick Bread recipe into a yeast bread for my bread machine (with recipe and photo): Book Review: American Grown and Sweet Potato Yeast Bread — Weekend Cooking

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Grown.