Mark's Reviews > Revolutionary Road

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

Jun 09, 12

Read from May 29 to June 09, 2012

I had already seen the movie when I read this book, and was afraid that the two would not be the same. Turns out, the movie was faithful to the book in all ways. I really love both, because the story just strikes a deep chord with me. This book is everything I never want my life to become. Yet this book just illustrates how easy it is to settle, to resign and surrender to fear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolutionary Road.

Quotes Mark Liked

Richard Yates
“I still had this idea that there was a whole world of marvelous golden people somewhere, as far ahead of me as the seniors at Rye when I was in the sixth grade; people who knew everything instinctively, who made their lives work out the way they wanted without even trying, who never had to make the best of a bad job because it never occured to them to do anything less then perfectly the first time. Sort of heroic super-people, all of them beautiful and witty and calm and kind, and I always imagined that when I did find them I'd suddenly know that I Belonged among them, that I was one of them, that I'd been meant to be one of them all along, and everything in teh meantime had been a mistake; and they'd know it too. I'd be like the ugly duckling among the swans.”

Richard Yates
“Are artists and writers the only people entitled to lives of their own?”

Richard Yates
“Now you’ve said it. The hopeless emptiness. Hell, plenty of people are on to the emptiness part; out where I used to work, on the Coast, that’s all we ever talked about. We’d sit around talking about emptiness all night. Nobody ever said ‘hopeless,’ though; that’s where we’d chicken out. Because maybe it does take a certain amount of guts to see the emptiness, but it takes a whole hell of a lot more to see the hopelessness. And I guess when you do see the hopelessness, that’s when there’s nothing to do but take off. If you can”