Bob Pearson's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

May 29, 12

Read in April, 2012

I am a fan of Mankell's books, and often when I mention a Mankell book to another avid reader, I hear that he (usually he) is a devoted fan. My brother told me he thought he'd read every book Mankell has written. This one is no exception to the Mankell standard. It starts in one direction, meanders around through various characters and possibilities and then one of the competing implausible outcomes begins to take shape. For this one, Mankell has picked the Cold War -- and its aftermath -- long after the world has concluded that there's not much more to tell or learn about the US/USSR rivalry that dominated the second half of the 20th century. Mankell's protagonist, Kurt Wallander, carries with him a host of personal problems and challenges, which don't interest me that much, but in the modern style they add dimension and depth to this man. Mankell entertains us too with his descriptions of small towns, regional Swedish accents, and odd characters. The twist in this one will pop out at you perhaps though looking back there is a string of tiny clues that stitch the story together when you get to the end and look back. Very enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.