Rachel's Reviews > First Day on Earth

F 50x66
May 29, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in May, 2012

Mal is the loser, the one that doesn't fit in at school. Years ago he went missing for three days and now he is sure that aliens had abducted him. Nobody understands until he meets Hooper who tells him that he's an alien and that he must help him get out of Earth but unknown to Hooper Mal is determined to go with him.

I picked this book up because it looked sort of interesting and I wanted to see what it was about. The words that the author, Cecil Castellucci, uses are so strong and I'm really glad that I picked this book up. This book is one of the really emotional books and it's a really, really good book. At first glance Mal is a teenager with problems but as the story continues we can tell that he's only misunderstood and different from the other teenagers. not in a bad way but he thinks differently and believes in different things and it all makes sense from his point of view.

I finished this book because I just couldn't put it down and since it's a short book it's almost impossible not to finish. The ending wasn't that sad, nobody died or anything like that but it's a really emotional ending. If I were Mal and had to make the same decision then I would choose to stay on Earth like him. After I kept thinking about how his life would continue differently. In the beginning he was really distrustful and moody-ish but now I think that he will trust other people better and make new friends.

I would recommend this book to Mr. Gould because it's a really good sci-fi book that has humour and a little teen-fiction and I think that he would enjoy this book too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Day on Earth.