Roger's Reviews > The Strangers in the House

The Strangers in the House by Georges Simenon

Jun 02, 12

Read from May 29 to June 02, 2012

Georges Simenon is one of the world’s most prolific crime writers. His novels number over four hundred. Amazingly, they are also highly regarded. I have read a few. Those have been singular and interesting. I particularly like his Inspector Maigret stories. This is not one of them. I liked it also. Always the mystery of the crime is secondary. It is the mystery of the people his protagonist engages with that keeps one reading. A gang of youths is living in a morose defense attorney’s house, where he lives as a drunk hermit after his wife abandoned him; completely unaware of this group of young people who hover around his daughter like moths around a flame. A man is killed in the upstairs room. The young boy in love with the lawyer’s daughter is accused. Her father will defend him. Full of the residents of his old French village, whom he has long ignored whenever possible, the lawyer begins to rejoin the human race.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strangers in the House.