Becky's Reviews > Crow

Crow by Barbara   Wright

Jun 03, 12

bookshelves: 5th-only, battle-candidate, historical-fiction, newbery-candidate-2013, read-alouds
Read from May 29 to June 02, 2012

I just finished reading this book and am still caught in its spell. I thought the first part of the book was a bit slow-going, but the author was establishing the setting so important to this novel of historical fiction based on the racial uprising in Wilmington, NC in 1898. I don't remember ever hearing about this frightening breach of justice and decency, and that is exactly why the author wrote this novel, after much research to ensure accuracy. She also wanted the reader to get to know the Thomas family and their son, Moses, through whose eyes the story is told. The reader definitely comes to care deeply about these characters which makes their fate and plight all the more distressing. The father, Jack Thomas, one of 4 African-American aldermen, is SUCH an admirable character that his lessons to his son would do well to reside in the minds of all readers. While I wouldn't recommend this book to students younger than 5th grade due to the violence of the Massacre, I want all students from 5th through 7th grade to read and ponder this story. I will recommend it to my 5th grade teachers as a read aloud. It would be an excellent social studies tie-in. This book, written about a time 30 prior, has a similar effect on me that Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry had--outrage for the injustice and a deep sadness for man's inhumanity to man. This novel is very well written and cleverly titled. A must read and serious contender for Newbery 2013.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crow.