Phyllis's Reviews > Durable Goods

Durable Goods by Elizabeth Berg

May 29, 12

I read Durable Goods after reading its sequel Joy School. I just love the narrator and main character Katie; such an authentic voice of a 12-year-old girl growing up in the time of transistor radios and drive-in movies and muscle cars. I find it relaxing the way the author shows the time and place of the novel - there are no computers or cell phones or DVD's - by using the "technology" that was there at the time. I hear "transistor radio" and I remember the radio we had with the leather cover with holes in it so you could still hear the sound and a strap handle so you could carry the radio with you as you walked because it used batteries. I grew up in the time that this novel took place and was about the same age as the narrator so this novel and Joy School were very endearing reads to me.

Highly recommend for women born between 1950 and 1959. Recommended for romantic men born between 1950 and 1959. Recommended for all readers who like coming of age novels and like to be nostalgic once in awhile.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Durable Goods.