Austin O'neal's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

U_50x66
May 29, 12

Read in May, 2012

Think about it you’re running through the Copper Canyons, racing some of the best runners in the world, with little to no water or food.Your mouth is dry and and almost as grainy as sandpaper and you can’t think straight and you have to make a decision;keep running, or stop and rest. Not only that, but you’re running to stay away from some drug cartel at the same time. The book Born To Run; by Christopher McDougall is one of the the best books I’ve ever read. I don’t read often, but when I do read I’m really hooked to the book. What I mean by that, is that I love the book and no other book that I’ve read before in my life can compare. When I asked the people around the place that I play volleyball; The Oasis they all say it is, “LIFE CHANGING.” and I would have to agree. I loved this book so much that I gave it a 10 pages read out of 10.This book deserves a 10 out of 10 because of the amazing word choice, and how the author found a way to keep you interested, with the amazing story.

The main character in the book is the author himself, who is a man who loves to run, but is suffering from injuries related to his running and he wants to figure out why his foot hurts. His journey takes across the U.S. and is one of the most compelling I’ve ever read. The other few characters are; Barefoot Ted, one of the best if not the best barefoot runners in the world, Jenn and Billy, two college students that decided they would try their luck running and became some of the best, Scott Jurek, the best Ultra runner of his time, and then there’s Caballo Blanco, the mystery man who had been setting this whole race up.

One of the best parts of the book in my opinion is when Christopher McDougall is explaining the lore and the back story of the Leadville 100. He had explained many of the details as of who was there, and what it took to accomplish such a task.One of the details that McDougall had stated was,”Making things worse, Leadville’s reputation was as scary as its geography.”(p.59 Chapter 9) stating that you had to be one of the best runners to achieve this ultramarathon of 14,433 ft. When McDougall had set out to the Copper canyons a second time he was met by Scott, Jenn, and Billy. When they had finally met up Jenn, Billy and Scott had gone out to have some fun only to find some problems instead. A few hours after they left Barefoot Ted had shown up and asked where they had gone and had caught up with them while McDougall had stayed back at the hotel to rest, only to be awoken by shouts in his room.

McDougall’s writing style is one of the best that I have ever read and is also one of the most descriptive of them as well. What I mean by this is that when you’re reading his book or his writing it almost feels as if you’re there and experiencing the same thing that he is. Like when he is describing Jenn and Billy’s experience when they are lost in the copper canyons.He doesn’t just stop at the amount of detail that you would expect from any normal author he exceeds this limit to the point as to where I wanted to start running right on the spot just to feel what he was describing. He also uses some of the best creative writing that I have read, using it ways that are totally unexpected.

When you read Born to Run it will change your view on so many thoughts that you’ve had. Not only that, but you will not want to put the book down when you begin to read it. Just like me you will begin to change your views on not only running, but life as well. Just know this Born to run is one of the best out there and is one of my personal favorites. McDougall goes into so much detail and won’t stop till he feels that it’s good enough.That’s why I gave the book 10 pages read out of 10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.