Monnie's Reviews > The Sins of the Father

The Sins of the Father by Jeffrey Archer

Jun 01, 12

Read from May 29 to June 01, 2012

I didn't read Jeffrey Archer's first in The Clifton Chronicles series, Only Time Will Tell, and after finishing this one (the second), I wish I had. To be sure, this one stands alone, but understanding what was really happening (and more to the point, what had happened before) was a bit of a challenge at first and would have gone much more smoothly had I started in the beginning.

Basically, the series follows one family through generations (specifically, main character Harry Clifton), starting in 1920 with the first book. This one begins about the time Britain declared war on Germany, when Clifton joins the Merchant Navy. Through a series of events, he manages to escape his somewhat shaky past and assume a new identity that will take him to a whole new land.

Woven into all this is that Harry is deeply in love with Emma, but just as their wedding is to take place (prior to Harry's Navy stint), they learn of the possibility that they shared the same father. Until that issue is settled, no marriage can take place - so Harry runs away to join the Navy. The book ends with the ending of World War II, and each section, divided by character and time, details what happened in that character's life during that period and how those happenings are tied to what's happening to Harry and Emma. Archer does a masterful job developing the characters and their situations and bringing it all together in the end.

And the end itself? Just like the old movie short, The Perils of Pauline, it's a cliff-hanger that presumably Archer will resolve in the next book (which, also presumably, will end the same way to entice readers to buy the next one). And yes, I'll be watching for it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sins of the Father.