Kara's Reviews > The Third Gate

May 29, 2012

liked it
Read from June 01 to 08, 2012

As seen on Bookosaur

I worshipped James Patterson when I was younger. By my early teens, I had grown out of my Goosebumps and Babysitter's Club books, but I was still too young to read what I had deemed as "adult only books". So, in that in-between stage of being too old, yet not quite old enough, I found my place within the pages of James Patterson's novels. I can't quite pinpoint when it happened exactly, or why for that matter, but somewhere along the way I stopped reading JP's books - and all novels like them. So, when I read the plot description of Lincoln Child's latest, a feeling of nostalgia washed over me. Reminded of that in-between time, I recalled how much I used to love these types of books and I knew without a doubt I'd read The Third Gate.

The Third Gate follows self-proclaimed enigmalogist Jeremy Logan. As a specialist in enigma, Logan is no stranger to phenomena that lies outside the normal confines of human experience. Throughout his unconventional career, he's investigated the yeti in the Himalayas and the Loch Ness Monster in Scotland, and has encountered more than his fair share of ghosts. When Logan is asked to join an archeological expedition to uncover the tomb of the ancient Egyptian pharaoh King Narmer - generally acknowledged to be the Unifier of Egypt - he jumps at the chance to investigate the series of oddities and accidents that have plagued the expedition since its inception. Logan sets out to determine if these oddities and accidents are the work of a saboteur, or if they are linked to an ancient curse connected to the tomb.

I found the story of the ancient tomb and its corresponding curse fascinating, but the reader has to put in their time before the good stuff starts happening. After a thrilling prologue, the storyline slows down a bit but then picks up again in the last half of the novel. Filled with curses, ancient tombs, mummies, near-death experiences, possessions, and inexplicable accidents, The Third Gate has what I like to call the "Delicious Creepiness" factor - not so scary that I have to take a running leap to get into my bed at night (for fear an unknown being will grab at my legs if I get too close), but spooky enough that it sends a shiver up and down my spine. The curse, in particular, was deliciously creepy. I don't know where other people stand when it comes to ghosts and curses, but I fall into the "I don't even want to think about it because it creeps the shit out of me" category. So, even though I was sufficiently - deliciously - creeped out, the mystery surrounding the tomb and how the characters were involved kept me turning the pages.

Speaking of characters, The Third Gate is told using third person point of view, but I never felt a connection with any of the characters. In fact, even though the story is mainly told through Jeremy Logan, I felt nothing toward him at all. In fact, in a story full of enigmas, Logan turned out to be an enigma in and of himself. It's a shame, though, because I felt like I could really like a character like Logan - anybody who orders a single-malt scotch neat is someone I'd like to be friends with - but he seemed a little too two-dimensional for my liking.

Overall, The Third Gate is an interesting book in that it combines history with the supernatural, and reads like a cross between The Mummy, the Ghost Whisperer, and yes - much to the delight of my 14-year-old self - a James Patterson novel.

With thanks to Random House of Canada for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Third Gate.

06/01/2012 page 15
5.0% "Two chapters in and I'm hooked already."
06/02/2012 page 58
18.0% "Starting to lose interest fast ... hopefully it picks up!"
show 1 hidden update…