Daniel Niew715271's Reviews > The House on Mango Street

M 50x66
May 29, 12

Read in May, 2012

THOMS Reflection
I do think this book was a good choice for an independent reading book. I liked the choice of the book because it exposed us to another way/style of writing. In this book the writer used short vignettes that showed a snap -shot of what living on Mango Street is like for Esperanza. I found this book very boring because I could not connect to anything happening in the book.For that reason I was glad to be able to finish it so fast. Even though the vignettes style was new and interesting at first, and I think the idea of these snippets (vignettes) is great, but they never were able to keep my attention or paint a vivid picture for me.
It isn’t one continuous plot, that keeps you at the edge of your seat. I'm not used to this style, so it didn’t really "hook" me.I was hoping that throughout the book I would connect with the character or "feel" something...I never did.I was not impressed. It's just not a writing style I can connect with. As with Esperanza on a mission of self-discovery, a theme recurring in the HWOC curriculum. I think that this book follows this theme, I discovered what vignettes are and that I am not a fan of them. This book was not good for its story, I enjoyed it for its language.
In “Four Skinny Trees,” Esperanza personifies the trees in her yard, she said they understand each other, and that they teach her things. She relates to the trees because they don't seem to belong in the neighborhood. The trees persevere despite the sidewalk that tries to keep them in the ground. Esperanza also does not fit in, and she plans to keep going despite the obstacles in her impoverished neighborhood. Esperanza sees the trees almost as a reflection of herself, comparing her own skinny neck and pointy elbows to the tree's spindly branches. This book is full of symbolism and allegory, for example in The Monkey Garden at first the park seemed like a magical perfect place, then as things change and she realizes that she is growing up and everything is now changing into more mature setting. The Monkey Garden symbolizes the Garden of Eden from the book of genesis. At the close of the chapter she said "the garden that had been such a good place to play" doesn't seem to belong to her anymore (38.24). I liked the use of these lit elements as I think they made the story much better to the reader.
Finally, I would recommend this novel to people who I know will enjoy it. I would not recommend it to most people because it is not that easy to read and there are plenty of other books that I could recommend that would be much more interesting. I would recommend it to people that would understand it or to someone that has something to relate to with the book. Maybe someone that has just moved from Mexico to the United States would have an easier time relating to what the book is about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Mango Street.