Kate's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Laury Falter

May 29, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in May, 2012

This book starts out with a girl who moves to a new town, finds herself in life threatening situations but is miraculously saved each time by a gorgeous boy who moves impossibly fast, who has a very noticeably different body temperature, knows her name without her telling him, and he wont tell her who/what he is because they can't be together and he's trying to protect her. Oh, did you think I was reviewing Twilight? That's funny because several times I thought I was reading a very bad version of Twilight. I thought it was such a shame that so much of this book felt "borrowed", because the actual plot is interesting and had the potential to be great, but it was never really able to take off. The dialogue was painful, there were tons of loose ends and unexplained terms, and most of the characters were pretty flat and unrealistic. If I ever have the time and opportunity to read the next book in this series without wasting any money, I will, but if the opportunity never presents its self, I certainly won't lose any sleep, which says a lot because I almost never walk away from a series before it is done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robby (new)

Robby Wow! Sounds really bad! Amusing review though. :)

Barbara It's a shame you didn't read the series. Trust me, it is NOTHING like Twilight.

Kate Barbara wrote: "It's a shame you didn't read the series. Trust me, it is NOTHING like Twilight."

I would read the series, if I could borrow it, but I'm certainly not going to waste any money on the other books if this first one is any indication of the kind of writing that is in store for me.

I LOVE Twilight! I read the entire series 8 eight times. Saying this series is NOTHING like Twilight isn't exactly a ringing endorsement in my mind. What Stephenie Meyers wrote is cliche, cheesy, and sacchrine sweet, but for some reason it is perfect and she is the only person in the world that can write something that bad and make it so good (saying it is good is based on the New York Times bestseller records she broke, the four movie deals, plus the millions and millions of copies she has sold). Every single other author I have read who tries to replicate it ends up making it terrible.

I think this story is very original and I really like the idea behind it (a heavenly messenger being hunted by the fallen but is protected by a guardian that has loved her and watched over her for five centuries and lifetimes), I just wish someone who is better at writing had written the story because I feel like I had to dig through so much crap, disregard so much bad writing, and ignore so many plot holes and loose ends to see the real good in this book. The story is great, the execution was terrible.

message 4: by Ashlea (new)

Ashlea May I recommend you read The Archers of Avalon trilogy by Chelsea Fine. Just from reading your review I think you might really like it. :) I got all 3 books really cheap on Amazon and definitely recommend it.

Kate Ashlea wrote: "May I recommend you read The Archers of Avalon trilogy by Chelsea Fine. Just from reading your review I think you might really like it. :) I got all 3 books really cheap on Amazon and definitely re..."

Thank you so much Ashlea for the recommendation. Those sound great. I look forward to reading them.

message 6: by Jaylah (new)

Jaylah Finally a review that isn't INSULTING Twilight!