Jonfaith's Reviews > The Man Without Qualities Vol. 1: A Sort of Introduction and Pseudo Reality Prevails

The Man Without Qualities Vol. 1 by Robert Musil
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Without Qualities Vol. 1.

06/18/2012 page 6
1.0% "Perhaps we should regard the opening chapter as an affirmation, not an assault. Musil offers no salvo but a salutation. It is a twilight of idols. A tuning fork is produced. Musil was hardly the first to find the city as a monster. Balzac and Dickens were wicked clever in painting the muck and avarice of the new reality"
06/18/2012 page 7
1.0% "No, industrialization crosses a few more thresholds just before the fissure, Fussell's Modern memory is headed onstage just as Ekstein's rites are being rehearsed"
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J Frederick (new)

J Frederick Oh wow. That is going to be awesome.

message 2: by Jonfaith (new) - added it

Jonfaith Such was selcted for my friend's poorly cobbled book group as our summr ambition. We shall see. I am presently suspect given the hightide of the Euros: day 7, mind you.

message 3: by Jonfaith (new) - added it

Jonfaith Perhaps we should regard the opening chapter as an affirmation, not an assault. Musil offers no salvo but a salutation. It is a twilight of idols. A tuning fork is produced. Musil was hardly the first to find the city as a monster. Balzac and Dickens were wicked clever in painting the much and avarice of the new reality. No, industrialization crosses a few more thresholds just before the fissure, Fussell's Modern memory is headed onstage just as Ekstein's rites are being rehearsed.

The first chapter is prescient, it zooms forward through the mounting madness and looks for a simpler tale for Grand Vienna, a comedy of morals, such as Greene's Third Man. An accident knots the hygienic rhythms of the modern State. Is there panic? No, the modern Clinic attends and improves. Who is culpable, the Little Man? No, there were THREE at the scene. Musil links arms with Joyce and Doblin; both are integral, but the Austrian’s calm suppression conceals his affinity with Louis-Ferdinand.

message 4: by Jonfaith (new) - added it

Jonfaith Catching some grief from my firends, I had to serach the house for my copy. I read 70 + pages today in an effort to foster dialogue on samizdat.